Pin, Pin, Pin!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Mandatory or Choice?



“When you have kids in the future, will you bring them up Catholic?”

This was the question asked to me and I quickly answered, “yes”.  But, then I had time to think about it.

Would I really?  I’m not so sure.

When I think back, I remember feeling miserable in Sunday school and Confirmation classes when I was in middle school.  I did not like it one bit!  But, it was mandatory by my parents.  And, when eighth grade came and it was my choice if I wanted to complete one more year of Sunday school, I chose not to.  That made me happy.

As I got older, it was my choice if I wanted to attend church with my parents.  If I did not want to go, they did not force me.

I keep thinking; would I really want to put my son or daughter through that?  They will be young.  Why would I make it mandatory for them?  Why can’t it wait until they are a bit older?

Maybe I will raise them Catholic and when they are old enough, they can make the choices for themselves regarding religion.  There are many different faiths, so why can’t they explore?

I am very open to the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment