Pin, Pin, Pin!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hello Writer's Block!

It’s one of those days in which my writer’s block has gotten the best of me. Someone once told me, “You only write when you have something to say.” And, it’s true still! If my emotions are not strong enough, I’m not able to write anything.

Is that a bad thing?
No.

But, I take it personal. It becomes so frustrating! I end up sitting here for hours trying to think of a topic or a story to write about. And, finally at some point, I give it a rest, and get to bed.

Usually my writing happens at night or in the early morning like now: 1:25 A.M. I don’t think I’ve even written a handful of posts that have been written during the day. It’s just a routine I guess. I have this feeling of needing to write; to get something typed onto the screen. But, when it’s time to sit down and focus, it’s like I crash into a brick wall.

This is what happened tonight.

I have this goal of posting frequently. The first month I did all right; posting ten. And, for the last two months, I’ve posted eight.

Maybe I’m being too hard on myself. But, I had a goal when I started this blog; to make it a habit to post something every day, no matter what it was, as long as I was writing. That didn’t work out obviously.

So, tonight, I searched my writing websites for inspiration, searched for something that would spark my imagination. And, I got nothing. I decided to type the first thing that came to mind and from there, my fingers moved rapidly across the keyboard.

I’m sure every writer has had an issue with writer’s block. For me, it hit me more when I was taking my Journalism classes in college. For each assignment that needed to be done in the classroom, I froze. I stared at the screen, my mind racing with thoughts of how to start or what to write about. My professor told me to not think so much and just let it happen.

I guess I should use this advice more frequently!

No comments:

Post a Comment