Pin, Pin, Pin!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Keepsakes

In my eyes, there isn’t anything wrong with it.  It is your right to keep whatever it is that has special meaning to you.  I will not define you as a pack rat.
There are certain things you can never get back once you throw it away.  Once you trash it, it’s gone.  What if you regret it in the future?
I save all of my cards given to me.  And I have saved them since I was about thirteen years old.  That’s twelve years’ worth of birthday, graduation, and all holiday cards.  Why?
First, it's out of courtesy.  Cards are not free.  People pay for them.  You keep it for maybe a week and then toss it in the garbage?  What a waste of money.  You might as well tell everyone to skip the card then so they can save their money.
Second, what if someone took the time to write a special message in the card for you?  You’re just going to get rid of it?
Third, what if you threw away every card a family member or friend gave you and they are no longer living?  Wouldn’t it be nice to see their handwriting?  Wouldn’t it be nice to see what message they left inside for you?
This is why to me they are worth keeping; each and every one.  Right now they are in a Ziploc baggie and they all appear brand new as the first day I received them.  Soon, I plan to organize them in a binder so they are easy to look at when I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment